2013

2013

Tidbits of Us

I am the wife of an amazing man, seeking hard after God's will for his family, and the mother of 3 beautiful little girls and a 4th baby lost in pregnancy, who all pull at my heartstrings continually. Life has been a whirlwind since our wedding in 2008, including seminary, adventures in camp ministry, missions in Kosovo, and countless moves and God's fingerprints are throughout it all. We are blessed and encouraged that He is equipping us continually for the ministry ahead and pray we are great stewards to all he has entrusted to us, in family, friends, ministry, finances, and of course, the gospel.

Friday, June 3, 2011

Books, Books, Books!!!

I've always had a love of reading. My dad use to always tell people how I couldn't keep my nose out of books from a very early age. Of course, reading every Goosebumps known to man, as well as other classic childhood favorites from my time eventually faded out with the onset of puberty and the ability to drive a car. There was so much I could be doing, rather than stick my nose in a book. And of course, then came college, where I began to want to read more, but had too many books I had to read, and didn't really desire to. And that was my excuse for five years!! When I wasn't in school I was so grateful I didn't have to be reading something, pleasure reading just didn't sound fun. Then came life and work and a baby, and a wishlist of books in the back of my mind. Of course, some reading did get done in that time, but nowhere near what I would have liked.

Now here I am, in the middle of nowhere, with no TV, no cell service, and only the internet and the pool for a distraction!! I'm loving it!! We've been here 2 weeks and I've already finished a 480 page book, which a similar size book from the same author took me over a year a few years back, and the sequel took about 5 months!! Of course, sweet Madison doesn't allow me to do much reading with her running around, but I do have nap times for the most part, as long as I have kept up with other household things during other times.

Thanks to my friend Jenny, (THANKS for this info Jenny!!), I've also joined a few blogging review programs (google it and you'll find tons!) from various publishers I tend to favor. It's amazingly simple, and you get free books, to keep!! There are only certain books you can choose from, and they seem to be mostly new on the market. You have to have a blog (check) and like to read (check) and agree to write a 200 word review on the book and stick a little note at the end that this publishing company sent you the book free for the reviewing... easy enough (and check!) Send them the link and the book is yours to keep, and you don't have to pay postage either!! Not only will this help build my collection, but since there are only certain books you can choose from, it will help broaden my collection into books I may not have picked up otherwise. So yes, you can look for my blogging book reviews in a short while. It also helps living in the middle of nowhere, where there isn't a library close at hand. I joined 4 publishers blogging review sites, for more selection as well. If I don't have time, I just don't request a new one. Pretty stinkin' simple!!

So, I have posted a new tab up top with my wish list of books to read. Some have been on this list a very very long time, and some were started but not finished, or barely started at all. My personal rules are to rotate between fiction and non-fiction, or it would be very easy to just read the fiction forever. It's my favorite, and I am much faster at reading them. But, I'm pretty excited about the whole thing to be honest... so, I'm going to go start my next non-fiction book right now!! Simplify Your Spiritual Life by Donald Whitney. I had his wife for class in SWI and she was wonderful!!! Aaron also had him for a professor and he is one of the best! He's also written Spiritual Disciplines for he Christian Life. A book Aaron and I have both read a few years ago... highly recommended, and I'm sure this one will be too!!

1 comment:

  1. Woo!!! I hope you did as many of the programs as possible :) Also, it's awesome you don't have television- you have so much more free time! Although, I do love my documentaries on Netflix...so so much. I'm finishing up one about the history of the English monarchy and am learning more about North Korea in another.

    ReplyDelete